Search This Blog

Monday, December 27, 2010

Easy Brunch Recipe: Baked eggs with artichokes & parmesan


I found the easiest breakfast recipe in my (I mean Larry's) new Bon Appetit cookbook.  It takes just minutes to prepare, and can be prepared the night before and popped in the oven and served to two as easily as twenty.  I made them amidst the pleasant chaos of Christmas morning, and thought it would be perfect for a New Year's Day brunch with Bon Appetit's recommended toasted sliced ciabatta, grilled Italian sweet sausages, and Bellinis. 

2 Servings
Ingredients
1 Tb unsalted butter
2 tsp chopped fresh chives
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
8 frozen artichoke quarters, thawed
2 large eggs
2 Tb (packed0 freshly grated Parmesan cheese

RUB butter over bottom and sides of two 6-oz souffle dished or custard cups, dividing equally.  Sprinkle with herbs, dividing equally.  Place 4 artichoke pieces in each dish.  Crack 1 egg into each dish, being careful not to break yolk.  Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper, and cheese.  (Can be prepared one day ahead.  Cover and chill.)
PREHEAT oven to 400.  Bake until eggs are softly set and cheese is golden, about 9 mins.  Serve immediately.

I usually attempt recipes based on their simplicity and the ability to substitute ingredients, since I'm almost always out of something.  This recipe wasn't an exception.  I had Pecorino Romano instead of Parmesan, so I ended up baking it for more like 15 mins since the cheese wasn't browning.  Also, I prepared the twins their own, but chopped the artichokes further and allowed the dish to cool before I gave it to them.  They each may have had one bite, and then requested grilled cheese sandwiches for breakfast, and of course I complied.


2 comments:

  1. i LOVE this recipe! i've been making it for 10 years. i originally found it on epicurious. it's really easy to sub in different ingredients - i've done bacon & spinach, fontina, shallots & portobellos. yum yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too funny! It's my new go-to breakfast.

    ReplyDelete