Search This Blog

Friday, July 9, 2010

Too much time on my hands

Is it possible that I have too much time on my hands?  It certainly doesn't feel that way to me, but why then, for example, do I have enough time to search Giada Laurentis' art choices for her home  or go through slide shows of other people's houses when my girls are taking frequently interrupted naps? It sounds so trivial, but let's face it, no one's coming to me for a solution to stop the oil spill in the Gulf (it looks like the only solution is to do as the Russians did and detonate a small subterranean nuclear explosion....what?!).

I was struck by the "Amore" acrylic on canvas in Giada's kitchen and I wondered where it came from which led me to a really cool story about the artist, Darren Quinn.  He created the original "Amore" as a wedding gift for Giada and her husband. An original can cost between $3500 to $400.  Quinn is a talented artist but also happens to be a fearless Quadriplegic who created a board so that he could still windsurf!  http://www.darrenquinn.com/index.html

Then I was really mesmerized by the simplicity of the design of one of the featured house tours on apartmenttherapy.com.  This site is one of my favorite ways to waste hours viewing other folks' design choices.
The Conwallisville, NY house is really lesson in restraint and embracing the old.  The house's owners took 5 years to find the house and another 2 stripping away layers of paint and wallpaper, and whitewashing the interior.  As you can see it's stone house with a barn now used as a pottery studio.

I love that there's no Viking stove or a Sub Zero fridge.

The veranda and stairs in the library that go nowhere.  I love it!


A wood stove as the focal point of the room, a cozy guest room, and peeling paint on a bathroom  wall just became charming.
Outdoor bath or horse trough?  Who cares?

Next time: Musings on children's TV characters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment