Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Too early for Holiday decorating?

I just got off of the phone with a friend who'd just been pre-shopping Christmas decorations.  She has a new home in Chicago that's a craftsman, quintessentially American, and an ideal house to decorate.  She figured that she'd decorate the day after Thanksgiving, while another friend decorates before Thanksgiving so her house will be ultra-festive for her turkey-day guests which seems like a wonderful idea.  So I say, unless you're a major retailer it may be a little too early on November 8th to decorate, but certainly not too early to start thinking about it. 
I love the green pears, green balls, and the wreath hung with a non-traditional fabric.  I also love bulbs at Christmas, it seems so refreshing.

This is a cute tree for a family with little kids or a folky style, from Wisteria 2009


Modern and I love it!


I do a lot of blue on my tree, but without the seashells and faux snow.

This doesn't scream Xmas, it's just nice and subtle.

This table setting from Pottery Barn would be really easy to re-create.  I always display sparkly pine cones which I spray myself with glitter paint from Loews, tthey're nice in groupings, and free!  Also, Amaryllis is a nice alternative to traditional Xmas plants.

Pottery Barn calls this the "Nostalgia" tree and it has apples, stars, and stick ornaments.

This is from Pottery Barn, but the elements are simple: paperwhites, candles, pine cones, and a few decorations.

3 comments:

  1. YAY CHRISTMAS!!! As much as I want a Christmas tree right NOW, I think even the most tasteful Christmas decorations can be super tacky if they are too premature. I say once you get into November, go ahead and make your house festive (candles, pears, pine cones, etc.), and then get more Christmas-specific after December 1st. I think the last picture rides the line of what is acceptable before December.

    Maybe you guys could also get one of those blow-up lawn Santas. Wouldn't that look great on the balcony or on the daybed overlooking the field?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the "contemporary" Christmas is the most difficult. I really have to restrain myself from being too traditional, which is pretty Xmas, and the Xmas I like best....it's always challenging for me which is probably why I'm already giving it so much thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww...i love christmas!!! i'm going to miss you guys for it :( perhaps i'll spring for some pine cones and a yankee candle for my apt before i head to india.

    ReplyDelete