Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Portraits in Silhouette

Sophie (left) & Sienna (right) in silhouette
A twin-mom-friend had been searching high and low for an artist who does those old-fashioned silhouettes.  She eventually got a few different names and organized a little party where the artist came, met with the child or children (and the mom), and cut their little picture right there!

The girls were so good and sat very well, although Jean, the artist, didn't seem to really care if they were still.  It seems like hair is her forte.  The silhouette of a little boy with a shaggy hair cut came out particularly cute, and ponytails look adorable via her cutting method.

This was in a party setting so I'm not sure if the pricing is standard, but one child's portrait was $28, the cost of the frame was $29, and each additional portrait was only $10.  I think Jean offers a bit of a discount to the organizer.  She also can do it via mail through a photo (although I think she may prefer in person), offers pet silhouettes, and can be available for fundraisers.

I decided on two separate frames instead of one larger frame with both images.  I plan to give them to each girl for their own home when they're all grown up.  In the meantime, I have to find a space on the wall since they can't stay on the dining room table forever.

Artist info: Jean Comerford 413.477.6179, www.portraitsinsilhouette.com

2 comments:

  1. They are beautiful....and what a great idea. I should look for something like that in Jersey!! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE these. i have one of myself as a 4 year old. last year i decided i was going to do the girls myself - you have motivated me... they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete