Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

be·spoke adj \bi-ˈspōk, bē-\


If you've seen the word bespoke lately you're not alone.  It seems to be popping up everywhere.  I first saw it relating to furniture, but then read it describing men's suits, and have since heard it regarding technology, cars, cupcakes, bikes, and kitchen cabinets.

Definition of BESPOKE
a : custom-made b : dealing in or producing custom-made articles

How can a word that I hadn't heard or read before this past winter now be everywhere?  Was the word custom just not enough for truly special things?  Initially, I thought it was a little pretentious, but I was probably being too cynical, and as I thought about it further the word conjured images of artisans.... I'm picturing Sturbridge Village-style artisans working for months, maybe years, on a gorgeous candlestick or headboard (which I love).
 
Be warned, you'll be seeing this fashionable vocabulary word soon.  Try using it in a sentence.

1 comment:

  1. That use of bespoke was new to me, so much so that I looked it up in my ancient Webster's to make sure it wasn't a new meaning for the word. I had never heard it in any context except to mean "engaged", so I was quite surprised to find that it's an old use and British, just as the other meaning is. Thanks for the edification.
    -Mom

    ReplyDelete