Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

Mesmerized by "twiblings"

Forgive me if you're already bored to death of hearing about this story.  I may be a little late to the party with this, but I am still mesmerized by the December 29th New York Times Magazine article Meet The Twiblings. I read that the magazine received more than 500 comments prompting the author to respond to some of the more thoughtful questions, so I'm obviously not the only one who's mesmerized.

If you haven't read the piece, it's about a couple who couldn't get pregnant.  The wife was a little older than her husband and after years of IVF, they were told she probably wasn't ever going to conceive.  They felt adoption seemed too long a process with no guarantees, especially because the wife was older and had a chronic pain disease, so they decided on using a surrogate with donor eggs, and the husband's sperm.  However, they really wanted twins but were told by their (responsible) doctor that there was too much risk with multiple births.  Next they decided that they'd find a second surrogate, and implant the two surrogates at the same time.  This resulted in babies being born 5 days apart: twiblings. 

The egg donor was the only one in the story who isn't involved in the babies lives, and the only one whose identity was not revealed.  Melanie Thernstrom, the wife/mother/author of the story is extremely confident in her position, even allowing one of the surrogates to occasionally breastfeed the baby she carried. 

I applaud this woman for sharing her story, that many people might find controversial.  It brought the surrogacy process, shall I say, out of the the closet. It's pretty clear that surrogacy is so expensive that it's cost prohibitive to most folks, while simultaneous surrogates, is surely only possible for the very wealthy, which seems kind of unfair, since I'm sure there's many gay and infertile couples who would also love to have this option.  They were also very fortunate to find seemingly level-headed surrogates who didn't change their minds halfway through, or do any of the other possible horrifying things a stranger could do while they're carrying your baby. 

At any rate, it made me think of how far I would have gone if I weren't able to conceive.  Maybe we all start out the same: telling ourselves "if it happens, it happens."  I remember that one day my husband and I were saying "maybe we'll start trying" and the next day having sex and then lying with my legs in the air for 15 minutes after.  Was that over sharing?  I guess what I'm saying is, it's so easy to let baby-making become all encompassing.  A friend said that having children isn't what makes you a woman, and you can certainly have a magnificent life without kids.  I think that if I hadn't been able than it would have been quite okay with me, but I haven't had to struggle with this dilemma.  What would you do?

 http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/magazine/02babymaking-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine

1 comment:

  1. I don't know WHAT I would do if I couldn't have kids. Having children isn't what makes you a woman, no. Neither is getting married, and some women choose to do neither and that's legit. But for me, the two things I'm most looking forward to in my adult life are finding someone to spend the rest of my life with and having/raising my children. I think I would adopt before looking for a surrogate- I don't know if that's something I'd ever be comfortable with- but I'm already nervous because my mom had trouble. I just can't imagine my future without kids and I'd be crushed if I couldn't have my own, but I would definitely adopt if it came down to it.

    ReplyDelete